90th Anniversary Kick-Off Party
February 17, 2016, 8:27 amWhat better way to kick off our 90th anniversary than a celebration with our very own employees! Every year, Shook Construction gathers our employees to celebrate the successes of the past year and to create excitement for the years to come. Of course, this year is special because we are celebrating 90 years in business. We took advantage of having most everyone under the same roof by kicking off our yearlong celebration. This allowed us the perfect opportunity to reflect on our humble beginnings and to remember why we do what we do. Welcoming the attendees in the lobby was a memorabilia display exhibiting some of Shook’s artifacts and an awards table highlighting our most recent achievements, as well as a commemorative quilt designed and crafted by one of our own employees. We kicked off the meeting with a 90-year documentary highlighting our humble beginnings when Charles H. Shook first started the company, along with the trials and successes that make us who we are today. The rest of the day included presentations from each of our market channels and departments, which celebrated the successes of the prior year, shared lessons learned and new technologies being tested and encouraged more efficient techniques to implement in the field. A few of the highlights included:
- Our Canton Water Reclamation Facility project team shared their experience in using Bluebeam in the field to streamline communication and the sharing of updated files.
- President Bill Whistler encouraged the use of our new pocket Quality Assurance Daily Checklist handbooks to improve overall construction quality in the field.
- Director of Safety and Risk Management Joe Reich distributed safety awards to 38 project teams for achieving zero injuries or illnesses in 2015 on their project sites.
- Our Raleigh office celebrated the completion of its first project since we launched that office in 2012.
- Every market in which we work applauded our successes with repeat clients and welcomed many new clients.